As part of being more accountable to myself and keeping focused on the goals I’ve set for the year I’m aiming to check in monthly. This post is mainly for my own benefit…
Review the goals
My professional goals and progress toward them:
- Letting Go – work has started in the background to re-organise the various bits of work that I do and refine my focus. This goal is underway and I’ve ticked off some of the milestones I was intending to. I’m encompassing Lean In to this goal too – it’s becoming really important to do the right work across my businesses so I’m challenging myself to step outside my comfort zone to learn where I need to. Progress: GREEN
- financial – progress here for sure. There’s still changes to be made to achieve the overall goals but I’m finding the confidence and getting the know how to do what I need to. Progress: GREEN
- learning – informal learning has continued through this month and I’ve started to scope out a longer, deeper piece of research (which I may tackle informally or through a more formal route – TBC). Progress: AMBER
- writing – I’ve blogged another couple of times here, but haven’t managed to publish the planned piece at Popoptica I thought was just days away at the end of last month. I have worked on my second novel though – editing is now 60% complete on this and its on course to be published this summer. Progress: AMBER
- health – looking at it from a positive note – I’m still off the Diet Coke! It’s proving to be a slow journey this one and there’s been some really bad days this month but I’m staying focused, being kind to myself while not going easy and letting myself off without good reason. Progress: AMBER
- reading – I’ve barely read at all in February but my in progress pile has grown significantly. It’s only in the last week I’ve been able to focus my mind on some Jane Jacobs, and find comfort in the dire warnings of Dark Age Ahead and also delve back into Sara Maitland’s Gossip from the Forest for some wild and magical nature writing linked with retellings of fairytales. Progress: AMBER
- travel and adventures – February had quite a bit of travel for work – Manchester, Leeds, rural Lincolnshire, rural Nottinghamshire. March is a bit more home-based although there will be a London return, but progress in other areas means I’m looking ahead to family adventures this summer (hello Scotland) too. Progress: AMBER
- volunteer and pro-bono work – I still haven’t found anywhere to give my time and energy to this month which has been disappointing. I’ll be increasing my efforts in this area over the next month. However, we did make some great progress at Reckless Yes with our social and environmental commitments which I feel is in the same sort of zone and I’ve also been proactive in giving my time and energy to conversations with people I might not otherwise get to work with. Progress: AMBER
Progress has felt a little slower this month and I’m sure that some of that is down to being a bit hit and miss on my daily commitment planning. I need to hold myself to getting back on to that this month.
That said, I’ve got more goals in the amber zone and none now in red so I can see am still moving forward. It’s definitely helpful to do this monthly check in and see where I need to amend my course and get back on track, and feel in control.
LET’S WORK TOGETHER
If you need a hand with anything you’re planning, get in touch. I’m happy to take a look at what you’re currently doing, share my experience to help you build something new, or come in and share some of my knowledge and skills with you and your team. You can get in touch with me here and find out who else I’ve helped recently here.
You can find the next dates for the Vital Facebook Skills workshops I run with Dan Slee here and my own one-day workshop on Paid Content Essentials here. Keep an eye out too for new dates for my Comms Essentials: Planning and Evaluation workshop.