Well in a TV wars style battle, Creativity Lab 2 was pitted against Dominic Cummings’s explosive testimony evidence to MPs. But 120 comms pros tuned in to the second Lab and there was a tonne of learning on tap.
by Darren Caveney
Creativity Lab 2 was a cracking £free learning session for anyone who wanted to hear from creative and advertising agencies about everything from being creative in and amongst massive demands, through to top tips for regaining that creative spark which may have been lost during the pandemic.
Here are 10 of my favourite tips to emerge from the session…
1. The biggest killer of creativity is the people who just say no all the time. Say yes more often.
2. Fear stops creativity. We need to remove fear to create great work.
3. Even creative agencies use planning tools like Slack.
4. Work on the things that mean most to you – the things you care about most will help focus your creativity.
5. Leave your comfort zones – we have to try and experiment with new things. Watch a new TV show or film, read a book, take in something you know nothing about. Creative ideas can have many sources.
6. We must have honesty. So if we don’t think an idea hits the brief then we need to be able to speak honestly and without fear.
7. You don’t need to wear wacky clothes to be a creative. In fact sometimes it might help to mirror the clothes of those you are trying to sell an idea to.
8. Always, always have a pen and note book handy. Sketch your ideas out – getting them down on paper can really help us visualise them.
9. Where do you do your best work? Seek out what suits you best, from the quiet and inspiring gallery to a bustling coffee shop and recreate it whenever you can.
10. Don’t be afraid of a crap idea. From a crap or daft idea good things can emerge.
I was so pleased to hear this last tip – I have always said that there are no such things as bad ideas, just bad decisions.
Creativity Lab 3 will take place on 25 June at 12noon – more on comms2point0.co.uk and @comms2point0 very soon
*Sign up for the comms2point0 eMag*
The comms2point0 eMag features exclusive new content, free give-aways, special offers, first dibs on new events and much, much more.
Sound good? Join over 2.6k other comms people who have subscribed. You can sign up to it right here
Image via Wikimedia Commons